October 27th, 2020 (New York, NY) – Round Three of the Virtual Portfolio Review program is on the way!
Valiant Entertainment will host another edition of the program to assist aspiring comic book artists and find new creators for future projects. For the upcoming round of the program, the award-winning publisher’s Senior Editors (Lysa Hawkins, Heather Antos, David Wohl) will be offering virtual one-on-one portfolio reviews for aspiring interior artists, cover artists, colorists, and letterers. 30 people in total will be selected to have their work reviewed.
Please read the below information very carefully for submission details and deadlines.
- Tuesday, November 10th from 12pm-2pm EST
- Wednesday, November 11th from 12pm-2pm EST
- Thursday, November 12th from 12pm-2pm EST
How to Submit
- Email your submission to PortfolioReview@valiantentertainment.com
- Subject line: Name, Discipline, Available Date
- Subject line example: Ray Garrison, Cover Artist, November 10th, 11th, & 12th
- Please note: Submissions should be a digital PDF attachment, a single document with an information page in the back with your name, a link to your online portfolio, and contact info. The document should be no more than 20 pages.
- Submissions open October 28th and are due by November 4th at 5pm EST
- Those selected for the first day of sessions will be notified by Monday, November 9th no later than 10pm EST
- Those selected for the second day of sessions will be notified by Tuesday, November 10th no later than 10pm EST
- Those selected for the third day of sessions will be notified by Wednesday, November 11th no later than 10pm EST
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I don’t have a prepared portfolio. Can I share a link to my Website/Twitter/Instagram instead?
No, we are only accepting PDF attachments (max 25mb). PDF2GO is a free service if you donʼt own Acrobat.
2. I have more than 20 pages I want to share. Can I sneak in an extra couple?
No, this will disqualify your portfolio.
3. Can I just embed/attach single images instead of making a PDF?
No, we are only accepting PDF attachments (max 25mb, 20 pages of art). Again, you can use PDF2GO if you don’t own Acrobat.
4. My PDF is too large to send as an attachment. Can I just send a link to my PDF portfolio?
No, we are only accepting PDF attachments (max 25mb). PDF2GO can shrink your PDF if you do not have Acrobat.
5. I’ve never been hired for professional work before, can I still submit my work?
Of course! If you’re an artist, submit any interior, cover, colors, lettering samples you’ve done on your own or for self-published books. If you’re a writer, submit any completed self-published comic you’ve worked on (no scripts will be accepted, period).
6. I missed the deadline to submit my work. Is it okay to still send it in if it’s before the selections have been made?
No, late submissions will not qualify due to the large number of submissions that need to be reviewed. Please meet the deadline, and if you cannot, keep an eye out for a future edition of the program.
7. I don’t think my work is good enough. What’s the point?
Portfolio Reviews arenʼt a competition to see whoʼs the best, but rather an opportunity to learn how to improve. Weʼre actively looking for creators who we think could benefit from one-on-one time with an Editor to take their work to the next level.
“One of the most fulfilling parts of this job is being able to meet creators and check out their work,” said David Wohl. “It’s something that I enthusiastically look forward to because I know how hard it is to get into the comic business. There are so many amazingly talented people all around us who are searching only for a chance to be seen, and without live conventions, those opportunities have been more scarce than usual. That’s why I’m so pleased to be part of the Valiant Virtual Portfolio Review—so I can see your work, and hopefully speak with you about it quite soon!”
Lysa Hawkins also looks forward to the return of attending conventions in person, but in the meantime, she’s ecstatic to take part in this program. “Being able to do portfolio reviews was always one of my favorite times. So, I’m thrilled we are offering, once more, artist portfolio reviews. We had such a TREMENDOUS response last time. I’m gearing up for the tsunami of talent to come flooding in. Can’t wait and you shouldn’t either! We are looking forward to seeing your work!”
Heather Antos is eager to kick off this next round of reviews and talk to people who are passionate about creating comics. “If the first two rounds of the Valiant Virtual Portfolio review taught us anything, it’s that there is a TON of talent out in the world just waiting to be discovered – which is why we can’t wait to open our submissions once again for Artists! Whether you’ve only just begun dabbling in comic art, or have been a working artist, these portfolio reviews are an opportunity for Valiant to see what’s out there, but also for us to give feedback to help artists reach their next level. Bring. It. On!”